BOOB GLOOM

My breast reduction story


Like most people, I’ve always been critical about myself, more so about how I looked physically. This is particularly because I did not meet humanity’s presumed beauty standards. Dark, plump, chunky, and the famous- fat, are all the descriptions which I have gotten obligatory.

Upon all my scuffles, I was only concerned with one body feature– and that is having large breasts. Now, this has been a test of time for sure. These are the struggles only women with big breasts understand; backaches, neck pains, fatigue, shortness of breath, infections below the breasts, trouble finding a bra size, costly bras, unsolicited attention, you name it.

I’ve spent ample energy trying to figure out how to remedy my struggles and getting a breast reduction surgery was the only thing that made sense.

According to: https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/is-breast-reduction-right-for-you#1 Expert estimate extremely large breasts affect nearly 1 million women nationwide


Photo by: Dr. SS Selahle: Mediclinic -
With this dreadful figure, one would expect medical insurance companies to act subsequently, but no. I send numerous requests for funding – for my surgery and it was declined each time. 

I had already given up hope and decided to just pray about it and leave it to God instead, who I have awkwardly been pursuing relentlessly these last couple of months. 

One day, during my prayer, a thought came to me, to write a letter to the medical aid board, explaining my struggles and motivating why I needed the funding. I had so much conviction to obey that thought and that is exactly what I have done.

Within a few days, I received a call to say that my plea was approved, that day, I exhaled in a different way. It was the same kind of exhale that I experienced on the 29 of October 2021 when I survived my breast reduction surgery in Medi-Clinic-Medforum hospital.

Doctor Solly Sello Selahle is a hero of mine who I believe was used by God to change my life for good. It is because of him and many like him, that I have excessive admiration for all health workers.

By now, you would’ve understood why It is important for me to tell my story, it is telling my story to the medical aid boards that have freed me from my boob gloom.

48 Hours after BBR surgery

I hope to inspire you to not only tell your story, but to love yourself fiercely, regardless of how you look like. I also wish to extend my gratitude to my doctor, Dr. Selahle and all the incredible nurses at Medforum- Mediclinic in Pretoria. Dr Charles Serrurier: The Rosebank Medical & Dental Centre, Dr Thabede- The HealthCubes Medical and Dental Centre in Randburg.
These are incredible folks who go beyond their call of onus. I appreciate you all.

Now, tell your story.

 

 

Comments

  1. I've got to know you in hospital. U are truly a remarkable person. As I grew up, I was always thought, that our beauty is within. A kind good heart and I felt that in you. We as human beings we have that mentality to feel less about ourself purely what people say about us. But a strong person as you are u have over come it all and u did not do it for beauty but for ur health. And u look remarkable. Much love Tracy ❤️πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad yoy got to do this, now yoy will live life to the fullest. Here's to crop tops and sleeves less tank tops πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to youπŸ₯‚πŸŽ‰πŸ€ΈπŸΎ‍♀️

      Delete
  3. I'm overwhelmed by the beautiful soul and amazing personality within, the braveness, the confidence and the love of God you have will exalt you! Embrace your freedom πŸ’ž

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow beautiful we love you girl all the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing stuff! Super proud of you and the sky is the limit now

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a good read Dee.. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zama. I appreciate your kind words.♥️

      Delete
  7. This was a good read, I've known you for long but it feels like I have known you forever that's how you are so beautiful inside you really have a good heart

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment